My first three day race experience & of the beautiful lakes too! You guys created such a brilliant and inclusive event thank you so much! I loved every bit of it, and cherish the mug. That was one happy cuppa at the finish.
- Tracey M
SILVA Great Lakeland 3Day™ 2019 certainly delivered with more excellent Café, Wainwright and Expert courses exploring the fells around Ullswater and Helvellyn, a lovely overnight camp near Patterdale, a super atmosphere with many friends old and new, and finally some fantastic running conditions despite the slightly chilly nights.
A wonderful weekend on the SILVA GL3D.
The 2019 SILVA Great Lakeland 3Day What a wonderful few days! We hope you all had a brilliant time! See you next year! Steve Ashworth MediaPosted by SILVA Great Lakeland 3Day on Tuesday, 7 May 2019
Following the positive feedback from the 2018 event, we decided to again only visit one overnight camp, making the Sunday more relaxed for participants as there was no need to take down tents. There was much excellent feedback on the routes and the inclusive nature of the event allowing all, no matter the experience and ability, to go on some interesting and exciting mountain journeys. We hope you enjoyed the great atmosphere in the overnight camp with the bar, the big marquee space and the SILVA raffle / quiz. Farmers Wife and Joey's Café were also back serving up some well-deserved tasty treats for tired runners. A couple of nice surprises included a free drink from SILVA on the first night in camp and also an exclusive SILVA GL3D mug for all at the finish.
Unfortunately, as you may have heard, there were two incidents on the hill involving injured runners who needed to go to hospital. I'd like to thank the passing runners, our First Response Team and the Keswick Mountain Rescue team for assisting and making sure everyone got down from the mountain safely. Wishing both runners a speedy recovery.
Route choices at the 2019 SILVA GL3D ©Steve Ashworth
Thanks to the Event Team
As is always the case the Event Team are the glue that holds the event together, and quite simply there would be no event without them. As the organiser I owe them a huge debt of thanks, and I am confident that I speak for all the participants when I thank them on the participants' behalf. The Event Team for 2019 were:
- Alex Chesters
- Alli Holland
- Ann Perry
- Becky Tate
- Carl Bradford
- Charlotte Hattersley
- Colin Harding
- Dave Cumins
- Duncan Kendrick
- Emma Hazeldine
- Geoff Cox
- Graham Gristwood
- Helen Samson
- Ian Cowie
- Janie Oates
- Kate Worthington
- Katie 'Kitkat' Cole
- Katrina Kynaston
- Lotty Bradford
- Nikki Sommers
- Paul Imrie
- Philip Wilkinson
- Sandra Williams
- Steve Ashworth
- Steve Empringham
- Stuart Smith
- Sue Dowker
- Tim Glasby
- Tom Hecht
Event Team giving out prizes at the SILVA raffle and quiz ©Steve Ashworth
Of course, the event would not have been possible without the consent of the major landowners and stakeholders, the National Trust, United Utilities, the John Muir Trust, the Lake District National Park Authority, the Dalemain Estate Office and the Patterdale Hall Estate Office, and we would like to sincerely thank them.
The 2019 results are now live. If you spot any errors, please let us know and we will check. Please note, that anyone who finished before 13:00 on Saturday and Sunday, and 12:00 on Monday will have a finish time (and therefore overall time), based on these times.
Photos & Video
A selection of photos have been posted to our Facebook group. More will follow.
Your Photos and Video
If you have any photos, videos, or blog posts about the 2019 event that you would be willing to share on social media, please tag our Facebook page or Twitter (@GreatLakeland3D) or Instagram (@GreatLakeland3Day) handles. We might share our favourites.
There were some lovely routes along the shores of Ullswater ©Steve Ashworth
The following items were handed into us over the weekend. If you think any of them are yours, please contact us with a description and we will arrange their return:
- Pair of walking poles
- Red Spork
- Brown sunglasses
- Red mug
- One Alutra glove
- A black fleece top
- Trespass hat
- Pair of socks
- A race map
- Thermal shorts
- Tent pegs
- A selection of clothing items
We would welcome any feedback from participants… good or bad! If you enjoyed yourself, just a few sentences about your experience that we could include on the website would be greatly appreciated. If you feel we could have done something better, please let us know. All feedback is valuable in making the event ever better and everything is read and considered carefully. Please use our contact form to get in touch.
Well Done everyone! ©Steve Ashworth
We suspect that if you enjoyed spending the Early May Bank Holiday weekend with Ourea Events, there's every chance you'd like to join us again for the 2020 edition of the SILVA Great Lakeland 3Day™. Entries will open mid-July 2019 - subscribe to keep informed.
You might also be tempted to take part in (or follow the live tracking for) one of our upcoming events. Here are some highlights:
Scottish Mountain Marathon™ June 8th - 9th 2019
- The Scottish Mountain Marathon™ is a classic two-day hill running and navigation challenge held in the Scottish Highlands and Islands each year.
- Open to pairs who must compete as self-sufficient teams, the event is suitable for novice participants and elite competitors alike. There are seven different courses, offering something for everyone who enjoys navigating through wild and challenging terrain.
- Entries available until Sunday June 2nd 2019 via the website
ROC Mountain Marathon™ September 28th - 29th 2019
- The ROC Mountain Marathon™ is a two-day fell running and navigation challenge for solos and pairs with an overnight camp. Famously relaxed and welcoming, the fun and friendly atmosphere of the ROC Mountain Marathon™ is epitomised by the lack of prescribed start times, the wide spread of prize categories and the opportunity for younger competitors to participate.
- This year we are off to the Lowther Hills in the Southern Uplands, Scotland.
- Entries are open now
Cape Wrath Ultra® May 24th - 31st 2020
- The Cape Wrath Ultra® is a once in a lifetime, 8-day ultra-running expedition race weaving 400km through the Highlands of Scotland. Starting in Fort William, the race takes participants on an incredible journey linking ancient footpaths and remote tracks to the furthest north-westerly point of the British Isles, Cape Wrath.
- After only one week, the 2020 event is nearly sold out!
- Enter now via the website.
Berghaus Dragon’s Back Race® May 20th - 24th 2019
- The legendary Berghaus Dragon’s Back Race® follows the mountainous spine of Wales from north to south. This incredible 5-day journey is 315 kilometres long with 15,500 metres of ascent across wild, trackless, remote and mountainous terrain. It is the toughest 5-day mountain running race in the world.
- Information on how to access the live GPS tracking of the Berghaus Dragon’s Back Race® will be released 3 days before the race start on May 20th, 2019.
- In the meantime, follow the build-up on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and at www.berghausdragonsbackrace.com.